History of Developmental Services

Rideau Regional Centre
Where: Smiths Falls
Description: Opened in 1951

Originally called Ontario Hospital School, Smiths Falls

In 1967, it was renamed Rideau Regional Hospital School

In 1974, the name changed to the Rideau Regional Centre
Resident population in 1971: 2,070
Resident population in 1975: 1,527
Peak residential population: 2,650
Year it closed: March 2009
Policy initiative: Ministry's Facilities Initiative (2004)
Image of Rideau Regional Center

 

Learn more

About the evolution of government policy and legislation: 2000 and beyond