A settlement agreement reached in a class action lawsuit brought against Ontario by former residents of Huronia Regional Centre was approved in Superior Court on December 3, 2013. Read the news release.
Read the apology
If you have questions relating to Ontario’s settlement of this class action lawsuit, please contact the Ministry of the Attorney General.
If you filed a claim and have questions, please contact:
On September 15, 2014, the Honourable Helena Jaczek, Minister of Community and Social Services, unveiled a commemorative plaque at the former Huronia Regional Centre in Orillia to help honour the memory of the centre’s residents.
The ceremony was attended by about 30 people, including class members, people supporting former residents, elected officials and representatives from developmental services organizations.
The Province installed the plaque at the former Huronia Regional Centre as part of the settlement agreement. Commemorative plaques were also unveiled at the former Southwestern Regional Centre and Rideau Regional Centre in 2014.
These documents are different from personal resident files.
As part of the settlement agreement, a copy of the approximately 65,000 documents that were produced in the Huronia litigation has been transferred to the Archives of Ontario to be made available for the purposes of scholarly research. Documents include:
The Ministry of Community and Social Services has gone beyond this requirement by making these documents available to the public. The work to prepare the documents for release has been done in a manner that safeguards the historical integrity of the document collection, the privacy interests of the individuals involved and the sensitive nature of some of the documents.
You can access these documents through the index to the collection. Note that a small number of documents, due to their highly sensitive nature, are not available online but rather in a Ministry reading room.
Read more: History of the Cemetery
As part of the settlement agreement, a cemetery fence and signage has been installed to help people find the Huronia Regional Centre cemetery.
Historical records indicate the cemetery was in use from 1899 until 1971. During this period, residents were interred at the cemetery either at the family’s request or when no other arrangements were made by family or friends.
The registry was originally compiled using the Record of Deaths, Ontario Hospital School – Orillia - 1876-1975 (Archives of Ontario) as the primary source of information. The Record of Deaths documents the deaths of more than 4,200 residents between 1876 and 1975. Other government records provided additional information and confirmation for the registry, resulting in updates in May 2016.
Please note, the historical nature of the source documents and the evolving record-keeping practices used over time, particularly at the turn of the 20th century, were considered in compiling the registry.
Former residents of the Huronia Regional Centre or their families who want to access their personal resident files can obtain them from the Ministry of Community and Social Services at no cost.
For more information please contact:
Huronia Class Action Settlement Personal Case File contact line
Toll free: 1-855-568-1697
To contact the ministry by email or in writing:
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Coordinator
Ministry of Community and Social Services
PO Box 978
77 Wellesley Street West
Toronto ON M7A 1N3
Huronia Regional Centre (HRC) Class Members (former residents and family members) along with friends and supporters were provided opportunities to visit the former site on six occasions between April and October 2014. These opportunities were part of the settlement agreement.
On September 22, 2014, the ministry also provided professionals working in the developmental services sector an opportunity to access the site. This opportunity was not part of the settlement agreement. It was arranged by the ministry for interested professionals.
As part of the settlement agreement, the ministry provided scholars with access to artifacts from Huronia on October 17 and 18, 2014, giving the scholars an opportunity to examine the artifacts and select significant items for public display. Selected artifacts may be displayed at appropriate public sites.
Site visits and opportunities to access the artifacts are now complete.
Did you know?
The original building that grew to become the Huronia Regional Centre was left derelict for about six years before it opened as an institution. Read more