The Ministry of Community and Social Services provides funding to more than 350 developmental services agencies. These agencies deliver a range of programs and supports to 42,000 adults with developmental disabilities living in Ontario.
The ministry is committed to its ongoing transformation of the developmental services sector and improving outcomes for adults with developmental disabilities.
While there is more work to be done, notable progress has been made. Click on the links below to learn about some of the work underway in the developmental services sector.
Prevention Services and Supports
Working to ensure safe and secure environments and experiences for adults who rely on Ontario’s developmental services system
Flexibility, Choice and Inclusion
Promoting person-centred planning, tailored to the needs and wants of individuals
Engagement and Community Partnerships
Working with individuals, families, caregivers and agencies to create meaningful, inclusive opportunities for adults with developmental disabilities
Collaboration and Cross-Sector Partnerships
Working with ministry partners to improve service coordination, transitions and planning within and across sectors
- Caring for Adults with Developmental Disabilities with Complex Needs - In collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care we’ve taken steps to better protect the health and wellbeing of those with complex and urgent needs
- Updating Ontario’s Long-Term Affordable Housing Strategy - introducing legislative and policy measures, and investing $178 million over three years, to ensure that Ontarians have access to affordable and adequate housing
- Health Care Access and Research on Developmental Disabilities Project - scientists, clinicians, service providers, policy makers and people with developmental disabilities work together to improve the health and health care of adults with developmental disabilities
Easier Service System Navigation and Access
Making it easier for people to get the information they need to set and work toward personal goals
- Primary Care Initiative - bringing together clinicians with expertise in the care of adults with developmental disabilities to improve primary care and quality of life
- Making access to services easier - simplifying the application process for young people and their families applying for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) and Special Services at Home (SSAH) funding