Do you have a child 13-17 years of age?

If yes, your Ontario Disability Support Program payment may change after July 1, 2013.

If this describes your situation, you may be receiving less from Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefits, but more in your monthly Ontario Child Benefit to make up the difference. You will not see a decrease in total support as a result of these changes because the monthly Ontario Child Benefit payments will increase to help low-income families provide for their children.

You will continue to receive other supports for your children through ODSP (such as shelter allowance and health benefits).

What if I don’t already receive the Ontario Child Benefit?

If you are not receiving the Ontario Child Benefit, or are receiving less than the maximum amount of the Ontario Child Benefit, you may be eligible for a Transition Child Benefit through ODSP.

Do I need to apply for the Transition Child Benefit?

To receive the Transition Child Benefit you must be trying or have tried to get the Ontario Child Benefit and the National Child Benefit Supplement.

You do not need to apply for the Transition Child Benefit. We will use the information you give to your local office to calculate your ODSP payment to see if you can receive the Transition Child Benefit. If you are eligible, your local office will automatically add it to your ODSP payment.

What if I’m already receiving the Transition Child Benefit?

If you are already receiving the Transition Child Benefit, you may see a higher monthly amount on your ODSP payment stub because the maximum monthly Transition Child Benefit and the Ontario Child Benefit will increase at the same time.

For more information

If you have questions about these changes to ODSP, please contact your local office or the ministry’s ServiceOntario INFOline toll-free at 1-888-789-4199. TTY toll-free: 1-800-387-5559.

For information about the Ontario Child Benefit, please call Canada Revenue Agency toll-free at 1-800-387-1193 or TTY toll-free: 1-800-665-0354.

You can also find out more online at