If you:

  • are receiving Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support, and
  • have children under 18 years of age

and you:

  • are not receiving the Ontario Child Benefit or the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), or
  • are receiving less than the maximum amount of the Ontario Child Benefit for any of your children
    you may be eligible for the Transition Child Benefit.
    The amount of Transition Child Benefit you receive depends on how much money you get for the Ontario Child Benefit and the NCBS. Your Ontario Disability Support Program worker can explain how we calculate the Transition Child Benefit.

How do I get the Transition Child Benefit?

You do not need to apply for the Transition Child Benefit. If you are eligible, it is automatically added to your Income Support payment.

Your worker will decide if you are eligible based on the information you provide about changes to your circumstances (for example, you have a newborn child).

To get the Transition Child Benefit, you must also be trying, or have tried, to get the Ontario Child Benefit first. Your worker may ask you to show what steps you have taken to do this.

Are you waiting for your Ontario Child Benefit to start?

If you are waiting for your monthly Ontario Child Benefit payments to start, you will receive the Transition Child Benefit while you wait. It's important to know that:

  • When you get your first monthly Ontario Child Benefit payment, you may also receive a lump-sum Ontario Child Benefit and NCBS payment to cover the months you waited.
  • Because you already received the Transition Child Benefit for the same period of time, your next Income Support payment will be reduced so that you don't get the same amount twice.
  • Your worker can explain how this may affect you.

Learn more