History of Developmental Services

Oxford Regional Centre
Where: Woodstock
Description: Originally opened in 1905 as the Epileptic Hospital and provided residential support to people with epilepsy and tuberculosis

Renamed the Ontario Hospital School, Woodstock in 1919

Renamed the Oxford Mental Health Centre in 1968

renamed the Oxford Regional Centre in 1974
Resident population in 1971: 317
Resident population in 1974: 683
Year it closed: 1997
Policy initiative: Ministry's seven-year plan for facility closures:
Challenges and Opportunities (1987)
Image of Oxford Regional Centre

 

Learn more

About the evolution of government policy and legislation: The 1980s