Services, supports and applications

For information about services and supports and how to apply for them, contact the Developmental Services Ontario agency that serves your region.

Questions and feedback

If you have a question, comment or complaint about a service or support that you or a family member is receiving, we want you to get a quick and helpful reply.

Step 1: Contact your service agency. Your agency is familiar with your file and is in the best position to answer questions about its programs and services.

Each agency is also required to formally review complaints.

Step 2 (if needed): Contact the ministry office that serves your region. The ministry office will work with your agency to resolve your question or concern.

If your concern isn’t dealt with to your satisfaction, you can connect with the Assistant Deputy Minister using the online feedback form found on the ministry’s main contact page. Once you submit the form, you will be contacted.

Neglect or abuse

If you witness or suspect the abuse or neglect of an adult with a developmental disability, please contact ReportON as soon as possible.

You can contact ReportON 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Phone: 1-800-575-2222
TTY: 416-916-0549 or toll free 1-844-309-1025

If someone is in immediate danger, call 911 right away.