It's important to let us know if the terms of your domestic contract or support order change.

We need this information to update our records and collect the correct support amount.

There may come a time when you feel the support terms of your order or domestic contract should be changed. For example,

  • your income may change
  • your former spouse may remarry, or
  • your child may finish his or her education or get a job after reaching age 18.

Only the courts can change your order. The Family Responsibility Office cannot change any of the terms in your support order or domestic contract, but under certain circumstances, FRO may be able to terminate enforcement or reduce the amount of support being enforced.

How to change a domestic contract

The support payor and the support recipient have to negotiate a new domestic contract with new support terms. The new contract will have to be filed with the Ontario Court of Justice or Superior Court of Justice (Family Court) and then sent to us.

How to change a support order

You must ask the court to change a support order by filing a Motion to Change form, which you can find online at For more information about this see the Ministry of the Attorney General’s Self Help Guide for Motions to Change.

Once the support order is changed, you must mail us a copy.

Note: The process for changing a support order is different if either the payor or recipient lives outside Ontario. Learn More

When a support order has been assigned to a social services delivery agency

If a support order has been assigned to a social services delivery agency, such as Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, the agency must be involved in all court proceedings or agreements to change the support order. Please provide your caseworker at the agency with a copy of any motion to change the support order.

To find out if your support order is assigned

Fill out a Confirmation of Assignment form and send it to the address or fax number indicated on the form.

If your support order is assigned, you will be given instructions on where to send your court documents.

Learn more

To change a support order, you may want to ask a lawyer for advice. How to find a lawyer