Generally, you should keep making payments until we tell you in writing that you can stop.

Ontario laws do not set automatic end dates for child or spousal support payments. For example, support does not automatically end when a child turns 18. However, support orders and domestic contracts may set a date or an event called a “terminating event” that ends support payments.

If the order or contract does not say when support payments end, the support payor and support recipient must both agree to end the payments. If they cannot agree on ending the payments, they may have to go to court and have a judge decide.

If there is a terminating event

Some support orders or domestic contracts set a “terminating event” that ends support payments. For example, a terminating event for child support could be the child leaving school or starting full-time work. A terminating event for spousal support could be remarriage.

Both the payor and recipient must agree that a terminating event has occurred for FRO to stop enforcing support payments without a court order. Keep us informed. If you have a court order that ends support, send a copy of it to us. Or if you believe a terminating event has happened, contact us. We will review your file and take appropriate action.

If you tell us that support should end

After you contact us, we will send a letter to the recipient for confirmation. How the recipient responds will determine what we will do next:

  • If the recipient denies that support should end, we will continue to enforce the support order.
  • If the recipient does not respond to our request, we can stop enforcing support payments or enforce a lower amount of support. However, if the recipient tells us later on that payments should not have ended, we can start enforcing payments again.
  • If the recipient agrees in writing to end support, we will tell you in writing that you can stop making support payments.

Our office will continue to collect support for other dependents on the support order, as well as any arrears, or money you still owe. Sometimes that means paying us even after your support payments have ended because you may still owe us money for:

  • enforcement costs
  • administrative costs, including banking fees
  • court costs

Learn more

Changing support orders