What's happening?

Starting April 1, 2019, all individuals eligible for dental benefits through ODSP will use their monthly statement of assistance or government ID (such as a valid Ontario health card, driver’s license or passport) for identification purposes to access dental services. This change replaces the need for paper dental cards. Check when booking an appointment as identification accepted by dental providers may vary. After verifying ID, dental providers will still need to verify eligibility for dental benefits.

These changes apply to the following individuals:

  • ODSP recipients and spouses eligible for dental benefits; and
  • Those who receive a monthly statement of assistance for cheques, Direct Bank Deposit (DBD)/Reloadable Payment Card (RPC), Extended Health Benefit, Transitional Health Benefit.

These changes do not apply to the following individuals:

  • Those receiving Ontario Works. These dental providers will continue to accept valid paper dental cards.
  • Children and spouses of ODSP recipients aged 17 and under. These individuals will continue to receive dental cards under Healthy Smiles Ontario.

These changes are part of Ontario’s plan to make services simpler and more efficient for people.

Acceptable government identification

  • Social Assistance (ODSP) Statement of Assistance
  • Ontario Health Card (i.e., photo, non-photo or temporary card)
  • Health card issued by another province or territory in Canada
  • Other official document showing the health number (i.e., letter from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC))
  • Valid driver’s licence or temporary driver’s licence (issued by Ontario or another jurisdiction)
  • Ontario Photo Identification Card
  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or territory
  • Statement of Live Birth
  • Confirmation from the Registrar General of birth registration
  • Ontario Outdoors Card
  • Age of Majority Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
  • Indian Band records
  • Valid passport - Canadian or other country
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC Form 1442)
  • Determination of eligibility for refugee status (CIC form IMM1442 or IMM5292)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (CIC form IMM 1442 or IMM 1263)
  • Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Military record

Don’t forget to check with your dental provider to confirm acceptable government identification.