List of documents you will need

What you need

For example

Name and date of birth from an official government document
  • birth certificate, or
  • baptismal certificate, or
  • immigration papers, or
  • landing document, or
  • passport
Information on status in Canada, including the date you came to Canada (if you were not born in Canada)
  • Canadian Citizenship card, or
  • Permanent Resident card, or
  • Record of Landing, or
  • passport
Exact total amount of income (money that you and the members of your family receive), including start date and amount for each item
  • tax return, or income tax Notice of Assessment for the last year (for family members who are 18 years or older)
  • pay stubs (for family members who are 18 years or older)
  • statements from Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or other pension programs
  • Employment Insurance (EI)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
  • Old Age Security (OAS), Guaranteed Income Security (GIS) or Guaranteed Annual Income Security (GAINS)
  • student loans
  • child or spousal support agreements
  • sponsorship payments
  • any other type of income
Exact total amount of assets, including value and date purchased for each item
  • cash
  • bank books or statements (including name of bank, transit number, account number and date account was opened)
  • life insurance policies
  • copies of savings bonds
  • statements for Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), Guaranteed Income Certificates (GIC), bonds or any other investments
  • etc.
Information on other assets, including value and date purchased for each item
  • property you own, other than where you live
  • vehicle(s) you own
  • other valuables including jewellery
  • trusts
  • pre-paid funerals
  • etc.
Exact total amount you pay for your housing (what you pay for where you live)
  • rent
  • board and lodging
  • utility bills
  • heating bills
  • mortgage agreement
  • property tax statement
  • home insurance premium statement
Employment information for family members with jobs
  • start date of employment
  • employer name
  • monthly income from work
Exact or estimated child care expenses (if applicable)
  • the amount you pay each month for unlicensed (e.g., babysitter) and/or licensed (day care centre) child care
  • extended day (school) program fees
Exact or estimated disability related work expenses (if applicable)
  • the amount you pay each month for disability related items or services so you can work or participate in a training program. For example,  attendant care, sign language interpreter services, specialized equipment, etc.
Exact or estimated specialized expenses for a child with a disability (if applicable)
  • the amount you pay every year for items or services for a child with a disability. For example, transportation to medical appointments, special equipment or clothing, home repairs, etc.

Now you are ready to fill out the online application.

Start the Online Application for Social Assistance.