If you are receiving Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support, you and your family may be able to get help with child care costs that you have to pay in advance.

You may be eligible for coverage if you need to change your child care arrangements to start, keep or change:

  • a full time or part time job
  • a training program
  • your own business
  • an approved employment activity, such as a job search.

Eligible family members include:

  • your spouse, and
  • your children 18 years of age or older who are not attending secondary school full time, and
  • your children under 18 years of age who have completed secondary school.

You and each eligible family member may get up-front coverage for:

  • the full cost of child care if you get child care from a licensed provider (for example, a licensed daycare) or from the before- and after-school programs offered as part of full-day kindergarten
  • up to $600 per child in a 12 month period if you get child care from an unlicensed provider (for example, a nanny).

You cannot get up-front coverage if the caregiver is a family member who is on Income Support with you.

How do I get this benefit?

You need to contact your local Ontario Disability Support Program office to make sure you are eligible. You may need to give your worker:

  • proof of your employment or employment activity, such as a letter of employment from your employer or the registration form for a training course, and
  • proof that you need to pay for child care in advance.

After we have reviewed this information, we will send you a letter to tell you if you have been approved.

Learn more