If you are receiving Ontario Disability Support Program income support, and do not have vision care coverage under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), you and your family may be able to get help with vision care costs.

What OHIP covers

OHIP covers:

  • annual eye examinations for patients under 20 years of age and patients 65 years of age or older
  • major eye examinations for all patients with medical conditions that affect the eye such as infections or diseases.

What the Ontario Disability Support Program covers

The Ontario Disability Support Program Vision Care Benefit provides:

  • routine eye examinations (once every two years) for you and your family if coverage under OHIP is not available
  • assistance with the cost of prescription eyeglasses (once every three years) for you, your spouse and your children under 18 years of age
  • assistance with the cost of eyeglass repairs for you, your spouse and your children under 18 years of age.

Dependant adults, 18 years of age or older, may receive vision care under discretionary benefits through Ontario Works. Contact your local Ontario Works office for more information.

How do I get the Vision Care benefit?

To get assistance with the cost of prescription eyeglasses:

  • contact your local Ontario Disability Support Program office and ask for a Vision Care benefit authorization form
  • take this form to your optometrist or optician and ask them to fill it in when you get glasses, frames or repairs. You will need to sign the form at that time.

The optometrist or optician will send your completed form to the Ministry of Community and Social Services to get their reimbursement. You do not need to pay for your eyeglasses up front.

The Vision Care benefit covers prescription eyeglasses up to a maximum amount. If you choose to get more expensive lenses or frames, you will need to pay the difference directly to the optometrist or optician.

When you have an eye examination with your optometrist or physician, you should present your Ontario health card or Statement of Assistance.

Starting in July 2018, you’ll be able to show other types of government identification, such as a valid Driver’s Licence, Ontario Photo Identification Card or Passport, as well as your monthly ODSP statement of assistance to access health benefits. Learn more about this change.

Learn more