If you are receiving Ontario Works, you and your family may be eligible for certain health-related benefits.

Prescription drug coverage

You and your family will receive coverage for prescription drugs that are:

  • listed in the Ontario Drug Formulary, and
  • prescribed by an approved healthcare professional.

Dental coverage for children

Children 17 and under will be automatically enrolled in the Healthy Smiles Ontario dental care program. Each child will receive a dental card to be shown as proof of eligibility to get dental services under the program.

Vision Care

You may be able to get help to pay for vision care expenses for your children, such as:

  • prescription eyeglasses
  • eyeglass repairs.

Eye Examinations

The Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP) covers eye examinations for people who are:

  • under 20 years of age, or
  • 65 years of age or older.

If you are between the ages of 20-64, Ontario Works will cover the costs for routine eye exams once every 24 months.

Diabetic or surgical supplies and dressings

If you have a prescription for these items, and do not have any other coverage (e.g. from the Canadian Diabetes Association), Ontario Works may cover these costs.

Travel and transportation for medical purposes

If you need to attend appointments for medical reasons, Ontario Works may cover these costs. This includes going to medical, rehabilitation, or counselling appointments.

Assistive Devices

The Assistive Devices Program of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for 75% of the cost of an assistive device. If you do not have coverage for the remaining 25%, Ontario Works may pay for it.

Assistive devices help people with physical disabilities and can include:

  • mobility devices (e.g. wheeled walkers and wheelchairs)
  • visual aids
  • hearing aids
  • orthotics/prosthetics
  • speech devices (e.g. teletypewriters)
  • medical supplies
  • respiratory devices.

Ontario Works may also help you with the cost of an assessment for an assistive device.

Extended Health Benefits

If you have high health costs and no longer qualify for financial help from Ontario Works, Extended Health Benefits may be available to help you. Depending on your needs, you may be able to get help to cover the cost of items such as:

  • prescription drugs
  • basic dental care*
  • eyeglasses
  • hearing aids
  • diabetic supplies
  • surgical supplies and dressings
  • transportation for medical appointments.

*A child or spouse who is 17 years of age or younger will continue to receive dental coverage through Healthy Smiles Ontario.

You may be eligible for these benefits if:

  • you were eligible for Ontario Works in the month before accessing Extended Health Benefits

  • you no longer qualify for financial help under Ontario Works because your income from other sources is too high

  • you are no longer eligible for Ontario Works because you received a payment for loss of income under the 1986-1990 Hepatitis C Settlement Agreement.

How to get these and other Ontario Works benefits

For more information and to find out what is available to you, please contact your local Ontario Works office.

Learn More: