I am living in an abusive situation. Can Ontario Works help me?

Yes. If you are living in a violent or abusive situation, Ontario Works can help you by:

  • providing you with financial assistance, and
  • helping you find a job.

What you can do? Contact your nearest Ontario Works office.

When you contact your nearest Ontario Works office, you will be put in touch with someone who can help you.

Tell them that you are in an abusive situation.

They will meet with you within 24 hours at a location that is safe for you.

What you can expect when you call

  • We will believe you and we will treat you with respect.
  • We can help you develop a safety plan as a first step. We will help you to connect with supports and services like emergency shelter, legal help, affordable housing and counselling.
  • We can help you move out immediately. Then we may be able to help you set up a new home in the community.
  • You will not be asked to get financial support from your abuser.
  • If you have a job, you may still be able to get some financial assistance from Ontario Works, depending on how much you are earning.
  • You will receive services in French, if required. If you don't speak either English or French, we will provide an interpreter.