Help for children in need

If you are looking after a child in financial need and you are not the child's birth or adoptive parent, you may be able to receive financial help for the child.

About Temporary Care Assistance

Temporary Care Assistance provides money to an adult on behalf of a child who:

  • needs financial help
  • is not the caregiver's legal dependant, and
  • is not under the care of a Children's Aid Society.


Eligibility for this program is based on the income and assets of the child, not the financial circumstances of the person who is looking after the child. To be eligible, you:

  • must be making reasonable efforts to seek support from the person who is legally responsible for the child, and
  • must not be receiving money from a Children's Aid Society.

The child is also eligible to receive benefits such as prescription drugs, dental and vision care.

Because individual circumstances vary, eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact your local Ontario Works office.

Learn more